After you purchased your package and scheduled your session you will be sent a checklist. It has a list of backgrounds to choose from, advice on how to match your clothing to the backgrounds and additional info to help you prepare for your headshot session. Send me the info requested in the checklist so I can be prepared for your shoot.
3 Things to Bring
◦ (Male Products) Hair (Comb, brush, styling products) Blotting Paper (Can find at Target), lip balm, eye drops, shaving gear if you need it.
◦ (Female) Bring anything you need to touch-up your hair and makeup. Make-up, Hair products, Blotting Paper (Can find at Target), eye drops, curling irons, blow driers, etc. It is also a good idea to bring extra bra in case you need to change it because it is visible in the photo.
◦ Parking Money Have $20 dollars for parking. You can find parking ranging from $5-$20. There are meters that take a credit card on 12th street and Hope Street but just in case bring a little cash for parking. There is valet parking attached to my building. There is also a parking lot across from my building.
◦ Nutrition Make sure you’ve had a nice meal so you are focused. It’s all about giving energy to the camera. You better have something in your stomach.
◦ Practice Expressions Practice expressions in the mirror prior to the shoot. SURPRISED ,HAPPY, SAD, WORRIED, SEDUCTIVE, LOST, CONFUSED, EXCITED, TEMPTED, DEVIOUS, NERVOUS, SCARED
◦ Know Your Favorite Side of your Face
◦ Muted (Not bright and Cheery), medium intensity colors
◦ Earth Tones, Grays, Blacks, Forest Green, Browns, Dark Gray is always safe
◦ Shirts that frame your face
◦ Layering is always a great idea (Black Leather Jacket over black or gray shirt)
◦ Try to keep your clothing modern. Pay attention to the cuts of the shirts and the materials. I like shirts that look modern but don’t distract
◦ Try to put your vibe into the styling of this shot but not so much as it takes attention from you
◦ Keep it generic
◦ Don’t let your outfit distract from you
◦ Spaghetti Straps
◦ Busy patterns
◦ Overly stylish (eg Big Shiny Buttons or Zippers)
◦ Out dated styles
◦ White (It will wash you out or compete against you)
◦ Bright Colors
Wear something vibrant that makes you have feel commercial. You want to wear colors that you look best in. I suggest a medium intensity color that is not an earth tone. Think more of spring and summer colors. You want to feel alive and full of life. You want to be vibrant but not to the point where it becomes distracting. Be the person in the commercial.
◦ Colorful shirts that compliment your eyes, skin and hair
◦ Modern cuts, don’t be dated from the start
◦ Shirts that frame your face shape
◦ Form Fitting Clothing (Don’t wear baggy clothing)
◦ Layering is good (eg Denim Jacket all-American Look)
◦ Too Colorful, or too bright
◦ Busy patterns
◦ Out dated styles and cuts
◦ Stay away from white unless under a jacket
◦ Baggy Clothing
◦ Anything Distracting
◦ Nothing with Logos
◦ Nothing see through
Before The Shoot
◦ We go through what clothes and match clothes with backgrounds
◦ Make sure you bring an extra clothing option. Unless you are totally sure about your wardrobe. Options are good.
◦ Steam clothing and remove lent if needed. Details are super important. (There is a steamer for you to use)
◦ Next we review what order we want to shoot the looks based upon changes in hair, make-up changes or sun location.
◦ Confirm the backdrops we will be using with your outfits. Think about this before you arrive and send to me. It makes it easier once you get here if you already have a good plan. Properly matching outfits to the back drop is super important to keep contrast and color contradictions from happening.
◦ Final touch ups on hair and make up
◦ Once you have touched up your hair walk carefully into the studio as to not mess up your hair
◦ I start by doing a coaching session on how to pose and how to maximize the results of your headshot session. If you are a seasoned pro we skip this.
◦ Each look takes about 10-20 min
◦ Real Time Photo Review -While we are shooting we are continuously evaluating our progress on a large HD Monitor to make sure the photos are exactly what we are looking for.
◦ If you have quite a few looks I suggest bringing a little snack to keep sugar and energy up. Taking photos uses more energy than you would think. Don’t try to skip eating. Photo shoots are a little stressful and not easy on an empty stomach.
◦ After the shoot you can expect the photos to arrive within 1-3 days via WeTransfer zip file. The email that you recieve with your photos will have must read instructions for in it. This will tell you how to send me your retouching requests.
Headshots LA Studios
1130 S Flower St Apt 113
Los Angeles CA 90015